Nyxt User Survey 0

That’s a shame. Nyxt isn’t very compelling to me as just another web browser. If we limit ourselves to thinking about it in that way, it just becomes an interesting oddball in the arena of web browsers. The fact that someone described it as “Links” makes me think that perhaps some of the survey takers don’t really understand this perspective.

I’d prefer if Nyxt exposed its guts front-and-center, begged its users to modify them, and optimized for that workflow, instead of trying to cater to end-users who aren’t interested in that kind of thing. We already have a bunch of browsers for that use case, backed by companies with lots of money, so I think it would be an awful waste to go in that direction.

That being said, I totally understand if that’s not what you want for Nyxt, and I appreciate the work everyone has put in to getting Nyxt where it is now.

I really like Nyxt, but the only thing really keeping me from using it as my primary browser is something like NoScript - if I could selectively allow JavaScript on a per-domain basis I’d already be using it, but the all-or-nothing JS blocking at present is keeping me on FireFox.

The second Nyxt has that I’ll abandon it, as I find the keyboard driven Emacs-like interface absolutely excellent, especially for my muscle memory!

Lucky you! We have a noscript-mode that disables javascript, combined with auto-mode (automatically enabling and disabling modes), you can have it PER URL (or any rule you like, really).

To read more about auto-mode see here: Nyxt

Hi Gus,

I understand your sentiment. Fortunately these two goals are not mutually exclusive. In building a powerful platform, we can also build features on top of it that make it useful for a more casual use case as well :-).

Looks interesting, I think that’s halfway to what I want. Seems that auto-mode would only remember if I wanted no-script-mode to apply to each URL visited in a buffer? So each URL is either “run all JavaScript on page” or “run no JavaScript on page”? Or am I reading it wrong?

What I’m looking for is something more like the NoScript extension I use in Firefox, where when I visit a page and it pulls in scripts from all over, I can choose which source domains to allow scripts to run from for each page I visit.

Of course, when WebExtensions are implemented that’s an issue I could solve!

You could also use blocker mode to say from where scripts can originate or not originate, and then you wouldn’t really need noscript mode at all.

First of all: I am impressed by the project!

For me there is one blocker: the element hinting sometimes doesn’t find the elements I need.

There is GitHub issue about it (https://github.com/atlas-engineer/nyxt/issues/1400), so I will only give the two examples that affect me the most:

(1) Gerrit code review tool. For example this is a random commit: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/331662 In Vimium:

In Nyxt:

(2) In Gmail, the tabs for “Promotion” and other categories are not found by the element hinting.

Background: For me the main motivation for using Nyxt would be to eliminate the need for the mouse. I use vi-mode.

Oh, actually, this is a GREAT point.

Does anyone know if the popup can disabled / hidden for element hinting? It ALWAYS blocks like 1/8th of the bottom of the page and covers the hints I was just looking at.

Not a huge priority or anything, when I have time I will dig in and see I can write something that provides the feature. Just hoping this might exists as a setting somewhere.

Thanks!

The two obstacles to making Nyxt my primary browser are:

1. Occasional serious bugs, like Nyxt hanging when I type something into the search/URL field. Happens about twice per week.

2. A few Firefox extensions that are too complex for me to envisage rewriting as Lisp code for Nyxt. Example: the Zotero Connector.