Nyxt User Survey 0

We’re trying to understand how people plan to use Nyxt, and what features we need to prioritize. Any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated!

I would like if Nyxt had support for standard browser plug-ins (i.e. Chrome, Firefox).
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would like to use Nyxt as my primary browser.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

There are things preventing me from using Nyxt as my primary browser (if Yes, please reply to this topic with an example).
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would like if Nyxt had a built-in terminal emulator.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I would like if Nyxt had a built-in editor.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

How much do you agree with the following statements:
1 = least agreement
5 = most agreement

Nyxt has a steep learning curve.

0 voters

Nyxt is difficult to install.

0 voters

Nyxt is difficult to configure.

0 voters

Nyxt has compelling/unique features.

0 voters

Do you have any more comments? Ideas? Questions? We are all ears, let’s build something great together! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are currently a few things keeping me from using Nyxt as my primary browser. The biggest one is simply that I’m still very unfamiliar with lisp :sweat_smile: Aside from that, I would really miss the features provided by uBlockOrigin (not just preventing ads from loading but hiding the entire element) and the Temporary Containers extension. I have it configured to open every new tab in a temp container (unless the domain is already assigned to a specific container) to isolate sites and reduce cross-site tracking.

Always thought the default console looks a bit harsh, similar to how the developer console in regular browser isn’t meant to be part of the browsing experience.

That is to say it certainly looks like the proposal of what nyxt currently is, but does it have to be?
Can it be friendlier without losing anything?

Not full emoticons, but maybe some markup colouring?

Just something to make it seem like it isn’t Links in the current year.

I started but didn’t finish the survey as I haven’t actually tried Nyxt yet. I used it a bit awhile ago (years?; when it was still Next) but these days I’ve been waiting for the MacOS installer (lazy I know!).

I am close to making it my main browser. I need to submit a few bug reports and make an instance of my form heavy ticket tracker to demonstrate the bugs properly as the shortcuts work %99.9 percent but there are a few edge cases where they fail.

I am absolutely humbled there are devs working on this project though to get it to this point.

4 Likes

The thing keeping me from using it as my primary browser is render engine compatibility. I’ve had a few work-related sites where it doesn’t render properly. (Examples forthcoming…)

1 Like

That’s understandable, that’s why one of the questions was about difficulty in installation :smiley:

Do you have some examples of programs you think that get this right? We are trying to be accessible to color-blind users, so we don’t want to give any information only available via color, but we can certainly add a splash here and there :-)!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words :slightly_smiling_face:

@amolith We’re trying to make it a friendly as possible to non-lisp users. We’ll get there! I also miss uBlockOrigin. Definitely one of the most popular requests. If we can support extensions in general, I think that will be a good step.

With regards to Temporary Containers, we have something like that for Nyxt, it will be merged in soon!

I think the map on GitHub - PaulJWright/ColourBlind: A Collection of Colour-blind-friendly Colour Tables is good, but then again I am not colourblind. There are tools to simulate that too, but just the functionality is a first step on getting it dialed.
I am unfortunately quite colour-incapable, so my designs usually do without :slight_smile:

Edit: https://dino.im/ uses colours in a very sleek way. Just all around friendly.

Edit2: The colours selected for Tritanopia here look great to me. Probably mutually exclusive even if that is the rarest thing to have (alone?). The main point is not to pick colours that look the exact same for people and use them to convey info that is otherwise missing.

:man_facepalming: I should have read a bit more! I’ve updated the survey as much as I can right now.

Some brief thoughts:

1. I had to give my work MacBook back a month ago and so, as much as I normally wouldn’t have, I got an Apple Silicon MacBook. Though it’s been completely fine for Clojure development I wouldn’t want to try to build Nyxt from source right now. So an installer is a hard requirement for me (doesn’t need to be arm64, Rosetta is solid)
  2. I’m a long time Emacser so I suspect configuring will be ok at least
  3. Built in editor… that’s intriguing! I’d love to know more… would it be in the JS runtime? I’ve written a Clojurescript web editor so know some of the pain down that path. Edit in emacsclient would be a good easy start (for those who use emacs)

I recently started using Emacs so it shouldn't be a blocking point for too long :wink:

Awesome! I'm excited to see what that functionality looks like!

I am currently learning Common Lisp (absolutely love it!), recently switched to Nyxt as my primary browser and like it very much although it can be a bit overwhelming! :slight_smile:

My main problems are 1. I haven’t yet learned CLOS well enough and 2. overviews and specific tutorials are hard to come by.

1 Like

First, Thank’s team for Nyxt and this new awesome forum. Cool survey with some interesting questions.
Nyxt crashes for me here. I need to report the output. I didnt managed to have Nyxt to crash while running from the terminal. Soon as I get the crash output I’ll open a new issue.
Also Nyxt doesnt seems to flush memory when I close buffers, I need to close Nyxt to get my memory back.
When the crash and memory issue will be fixed, Nyxt will be my main browser, that’s for sure!

If I may add to the survey as my best feature about Nyxt is, the ability to have multi buffers with different settings. Example 1 buffer with js disabled and another buffer with js enabled, that’s so handy. I havent found that feature in another browser.
Thank’s again for Nyxt.

Four major issues surfaced in the first hour of usage, which made the browser hard to use.

1. Georgian letter support. Georgian text on my website at საინტერესო რესურსები did not show up.
  2. Some websites take too long to load. nytimes.com took around 20 seconds.
  3. Some websites lag a lot. Again, nytimes.com is one of the culprits. I don’t normally visit such bloated websites, but the browser choked up and crashes the first time I went to nytime.com
  4. Crashed twice just in the settings menu. Will send more detailed information next time it crashes.
  5. Right click menu has unicode boxes instead of text, see the screenshot.

I like nyxt a lot, especially that it’s written in CommonLisp and as long as you keep it simple, I think it can have a future.

ahoy all, very thankful and impressed with Nyxt already and hoping to make it my main browser soon. only thing holding me back is the lack of containers (both temporary and permanent), configurable on the URL and other parameters ..

OK, glad to hear it! thanks again and full speed ahead.

peace, w

Highly recommend the PAIP book, if you haven’t seen it. I liked it more than the somewhat terse Practical Common Lisp.

1. Not sure why Georgian support wouldn’t work. Perhaps the default WebKitGTK+ font is missing it for some reason… thank you for reporting!
  2. Indeed, without extensive ad-blocking, these sites are more or less unusable. We’re working on it, and hope to have something soon.
  3. Same as 2, usually :slight_smile:
  4. The settings menu? Can you please be more specific? I’m not sure what is meant by the settings menu.
  5. That is a most fascinating bug, I have never seen this!

Well, it is fair to say something is incorrect with the installation, a lot of things are missing :smiley:

Thanks for the confidence in us. We hope we won’t let you down as we continue to mature!

That is the really cool thing, because of auto-mode https://nyxt.atlas.engineer/article/auto-mode.org , you can make your containers / set-up EXTREMELY fine-grained.

So you can currently enable/disable proxy, cache, reduced tracking, vpn, and more. What we do not yet have is completely isolated buffers which will come in shortly after we merge in our global history tree! Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Interesting remarks above, thanks for this survey and discussion.

I aim at moving from Firefox with a very minified UI (with CSS breaking with updates too frequently) to Nyxt, but this may take some time. After too little time using Nyxt, it is hard to rank the things that I miss, hope, or dislike, so I’ll just list things below without any kind of sorting by level of importance. Some points are very minor too.

1. I don’t know Lisp, at all. But the team is convincing that this is a good language for the objectives here. This just means that the learning curve is steep for me, and it is also not clear to me how much I can extend Nyxt with just a config file (new functions, etc.).

2. I use a distribution with a non mainstream package manager, meaning installation can be a little cumbersome since I had to compile Nyxt. But this is something I am used to with this distribution, and fortunately dependencies are not too numerous, so that’s a non issue. Perhaps just an easy update script or builtin command to update to either master or releases would be useful.

3. Webkit makes it hard to customize scroll speed, and I also observe some choppy scrolling whether smooth-scrolling is enabled or not.

4. While most commands seem self-explanatory, short 1- or 2-sentence summaries in the buffer could be useful. This should be optional though, as it’d typically be used only during the learning phase.

5. The minibuffer seems to take some time to show up on my computer, despite good hardware (just a split second, but after repeated use this can be a bit frustrating).

6. Firefox plugins (but how to make sure third-party plugins are safe when Nyxt can access pass or KeepassXC?) and userstyles (already possible manually apparently, but I have not tried yet).

7. I would really like to have an option for a vertical toolbar, I think it optimizes space use when numerous tabs/buffers are open and makes them more legible. I will set a keybind to toggle the toolbar on and off, and I expect I’ll hide it most of the time in Nyxt because the minibuffer and fuzzy search are just great, so the horizontal bar is not too big an issue for me in this browser. More toolbar customization in general would be useful, however, as there are some situations where one may want to display just buttons, mode, url preview, and maybe not buffers.

8. I didn’t find a way to show the status bar (where url previews on links are shown) without showing the taskbar, or having it on top of the web content (like Chrome here; not my picture) to save space instead of adding a white line.

9. I am not skilled enough to have an educated opinion on the render/engine, but when I talked about Nyxt to other people who know more than me, they sometimes reacted in a “Meh” way when I said it uses Webkit. They reacted the same when they saw JS inection for things like darken. That is hardly a beef since I don’t know anything about those two topics, it just made me curious. I tended to have a better experience with Firefox/Gecko than Chrome over the last few years, but it is hard to measure.

10. Missing a dark mode for the minibuffer, opacity, and possibly additional visual settings to make Nyxt blend in the DE instead of having its own distinctive style (not at this stage of course).

11. I believe loading times are not as good as Firefox on the two machines I tested. Not sure if this is a renderer thing, or related to uBlock?

12. Not sure about builtin terminal, I believe the target audience for a keyboard-driven browser probably have their favorite terminal already and wouldn’t feel to comfortable in another one, it may be easier to just open a new window. But I’m certainly missing what possibilities a builtin terminal would enable. One cool thing I wished other browsers had is a integration with the terminal file manager of your choice, though. I imagine having a builtin terminal could allow this instead of showing the infamous graphical dialog to save, open or upload files (when you have a TUI file manager with many configured settings and bookmarks, going back to a graphical one where history and bookmarks are not set is painful).

13. Builtin editor: no, not so much. I have my habits in my editor already and wouldn’t use a different one. If Nyxt gets a builtin terminal, then by all means add support for $EDITOR! I would probably use it a lot, perhaps even for posting on forums. This is making me reconsider 12.

This kinda evolved into a mix of feature requests, some probably totally out of scope, instead of any valuable input on the broad questions raised in the survey. Sorry for that. Please don’t take me wrong, I wouldn’t want Nyxt to become a clone of other browsers or even converge slightly. I don’t think it ever will try to copy them, but let it be clear that this is what attracted me in the first place (and buffers and minimal UI). I also wish Nyxt will be a very light browser, with good performance and resource use compared to the big boys with their heavy UIs.

I’m not ready yet for Nyxt full-time because I couldn’t come up with a config file yet, and am still slowly discovering commands and keybinds, but I haven’t been excited by a browser like this in a long time.

2 Likes