Is it possible to pin buffers on Nyxt? How woud you do it?

In Firefox I can pin “tabs”. They are always there when I open the web browser.

Is it possible to pin buffers on Nyxt? How would you do it?

Thanks.

There is currently no such feature, but I’m not sure it would make sense for Nyxt.

“Pins” are a visual feature: they “pin” tabs to windows. But Nyxt’s windows don’t contain tabs nor buffers, the 2 are decorelated.

Currently buffers can be restored on startup.

One thing we could do is to have pinned buffers: non-pinned buffers get killed on exit, while pinned buffers get restored on startup. Would that make sense?

One thing we could do is to have pinned buffers: non-pinned buffers get killed on exit, while pinned buffers get restored on startup. Would that make sense?

Yes. This is what I would like to see. My words were: "They are always there when I open the web browser." Or, in your words pinned buffers get restored on startup.

There is currently no such feature

I thought it would be possible to hack something by inserting expressions on the init.lisp file. Nyxt reads it every time it starts, correct?

Maybe, tweaking the way buffers are restored, checking if the URL is in a specific list (pinned-buffer list).

It could also be a new command.

The "pin" feature from Firefox was not the best way to express the idea. Sorry. In FF, the visual UX just helps you achieve: "non-pinned buffers get killed on exit, while pinned buffers get restored on startup". I click to exit on non-pinned before exiting and I leave the pinned ones intact, so they are restored when I re-start.

I’ve written this in our ideas document, I called them “sticky buffers”, just haven’t gotten around to implementing it yet.

Is this document public? If so, where is it?

This document is not public, no.

See Allow pinning of buffers · Issue #1608 · atlas-engineer/nyxt · GitHub

1 Like