Blog article about nyxt

Heya!
I started playing around with Nyxt and wrote a blog article about it a few weeks ago.
It's my first blog post ever so I'm really unsure how it comes across.
Even though the list of nits is rather long, I love the project and I hope it gives it a positive look. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Hello @Melkor333! Thank you for the blog post. All user feedback is welcome and I feel your interest in the project.

Let me reply to each of the points you bring up.

Vi mode everywhere? NO!

I find it unacceptable too, but the good news is that it's easy to fix, see Enable `vi-insert-mode` in the prompt buffer by default ยท Issue #3242 ยท atlas-engineer/nyxt ยท GitHub.

Enter the common lisp community

You only need to go as deep as you'd like to go. You don't need to be a CL developer to be able to use Nyxt and do some basic configuring.

CL is actually a hidden gem, but you need to be guided to know where to look. One step at a time.

WHY do you want to transform a browser into an editor????

To avoid context switching. One program to rule them all.

I'm used to a browser that just works โ„ข๏ธ and have to shift my mindset a bit.

If something doesn't work as you'd expected out of the box, then we need to improve. Please open an issue on GitHub on those occasions. Nyxt is malleable, but it can't have dark corners out of the box.

Enter passtrough mode - forever!

Please report it on GitHub with a recipe to reproduce.

Hidden links

There are some strategies to mitigate it.

1. You may be interested in giving the config below a try. Note, however, that hints are only computed in viewport when using :vi as the hinting-type.
(define-configuration nyxt/mode/hint:hint-mode
  ((nyxt/mode/hint:hints-alphabet "KDJFLSAIEUROWPQCMVXZ")
   (nyxt/mode/hint:hinting-type :vi)))
  1. Instead of tweaking hinting-type, the prompt buffer can be collapsed anytime via command toggle-suggestions-display, bound to Alt-Shift-up-arrow by default.

Note that we're aware of some of the quirks of the default behavior in hint-mode. See:

WTF is this buffer list

I fully agree with you. It's a joke but trivial to address. See Improve `list-buffers` UI ยท Issue #3239 ยท atlas-engineer/nyxt ยท GitHub.

Random Freezes

It may be due to the WebKitGTK renderer, which doesn't perform great. We're working on a new Electron port.

I assume they have this as default search to hopefully gather some insights on who is using nyxt. And I thought Iโ€™ll try to get along with it. But I canโ€™t.

Precisely. It's a non-intrusive way to get a sense of how many Nyxt users exist. Note that it's easy to configure the default search engine. I'm not sure if it's possible to tweak SearX to improve it. CC @jmercouris.

Broken in-document search

That's a bug, please report it. The mode is not taking into account input or textarea elements.

The Pros definitely outweigh the cons!

That's really flattering! I'll help you in your Nyxt journey :smiley:

P.S. - The images of your blogpost aren't visible.

1 Like