Trying to update hotlist error

Hello, trying to update the hotlist with “update-hotlist”
but I get

<INFO> [04:59:55] Updating hostlist #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt"...
<INFO> [04:59:55] Loading #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt".
<INFO> [04:59:55] Failed to load #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt": The alien function "TLS_method" is undefined.
<INFO> [04:59:55] Failed to back up file: Invalid pathname #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt": Can't get a truename for pathname
<INFO> [05:03:01] Loading #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt".
<INFO> [05:03:01] Failed to load #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt": The alien function "TLS_method" is undefined.
<INFO> [05:03:01] Erroring file backed up at #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack-backup-NRVB1VAB.txt".

File is there, but when I cat both the files, they empty. I see a TLS error. How do I fix this? Or is a bug?

Can you try toggle-debug-on-error and see whether any debugger buffer opens?

Hello @aartaka and thanks for your reply and looking into this… I just toggle that and tried again the option to update the hotlist and get same result

INFO> [19:03:27] Nyxt-native debugging enabled.
<INFO> [19:03:41] Pressed keys: d
<INFO> [19:03:42] Vi-insert mode enabled.
WARNING:
   Multiple UPDATE symbols found: (UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
                                          UPDATE)
<INFO> [19:04:07] Blocker mode enabled.
<INFO> [19:04:15] Vi-insert mode enabled.
<INFO> [19:04:22] Vi-insert mode enabled.
<INFO> [19:04:29] Updating hostlist #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt"...
<INFO> [19:04:29] Loading #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt".
<INFO> [19:04:29] Failed to load #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt": The alien function "TLS_method" is undefined.
<INFO> [19:04:29] Failed to back up file: Invalid pathname #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/hostlist-stevenblack.txt": Can't get a truename for pathname

Hmmmmm. At this point, I’m not sure the problem is our side, because this The alien function "TLS_method" is undefined. nints at the SSL/TLS stack problem. Maybe look at which libssl version you have and update it. According to this man page, TLS_method was introduced in version 3 of libssl, which your machine might lack.

@aartaka thanks for looking into this, I am using Arch and usually since is mostly customize is very good at running new things before other distros, I remember we had an issue with the new OpenSSL in summer, and we rebuilt all linked libs etc., but will double-check later and let you know in case I missed rebuilding some libs etc

“Using individual protocol methods directly is deprecated. Applications should use TLS_method() instead.” - openssl/INSTALL.md at master · openssl/openssl · GitHub

@aartaka any news on this? would it be possible to download the file myself and put it in place meanwhile? Thanks I am going to try something like this:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/data/StevenBlack/hosts -O hostlist-stevenblack.txt

Yes, that should work just fine!

1 Like