I would like to start out by saying how excited I am about Nyxt and have been tracking it for a while, and have finally started to take the plunge. During this plunge however I’ve come across some hitches which I would like to go over, as some of them managed to shut me down for a day.
I should preface this by also mentioning that I’m operating on vim-bindings throughout my experience.
Unclear whether or not text-input field is focused: One of the first sites I went to was GitHub, and I hit a pretty significant blocker upon trying to sign in: I couldn’t enter my username! To be exact, I typed the first two letters in fine, but on the third (an “m”) it would always activate the
mark command. Of course after a good deal of confusion I realized that I needed to enter the text field through the
f command (or slamming the tab key), where everything then worked perfectly.
Long response times for menus/commands: It has been pretty frequent that whenever i execute a command, it sometimes takes 1 to several seconds for the dialog/menu on the bottom to pop up, often long enough for me to wonder if I hit the right keys! I don’t know if this is normal or perhaps due to some default setting? I’ll give that I’m not on the newest hardware, but I can survive with 3 electron apps and more online, so I really need to doubt its a spec issue. If it is a default setting (perhaps waiting for some other input), what might I change?
Perceived breakage on initial session: This one is by far the most dubious, so at best I’d like to provide a single anec-datapoint. When I entered my first session with Nyxt and was brought to the initial hello/tutorial/setup page (and I actually think I may have been in the default keybinds at this moment), it felt like none of the keybinds were actually working. I recall looking at the introductory material, which said the bind
C-h C-h would trigger the
help command, yet hitting those keys produced no result (and yes, I know
Ctrl-h, so it wasn’t that). I had tried swapping bind-layouts and eventually just closed and reopened Nyxt, which is when it felt like things were working again.
EDIT: In case the information is important, I’m running version 2.0.0 downloaded from the AUR, on Garuda Linux