Nyxt Cookbook: TLDR Configurations

What do you think of having a Nyxt Cookbook that shows common configurations a user might want to configure in a TLDR way?

Currently configurations are scattered in various random software forges and blog posts.

We can maybe take the GNU Guix Cookbook as a starting example:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/html_node/

4 Likes

Yes, would be neat to have! I thought about this for a while too :smiley:

This could be very useful yes. I am having trouble seeing why we wouldn’t just include all of the examples in the manual :-D? Or maybe I misunderstand what a cook book is and is not!

What about a cookbook embedded in nyxt itself?

1 Like

This is sorta my take on this based on the documentation.divio.com conceptualisation of documentation.

Well, a “cookbook” is a collection of short manuals (how-tos) on achieving specific tasks, usually somewhat more involved than absolute basics. The bookmarklet article would be an example of this kind of thing.

The absolute basics should be covered by a tutorial. So with a cookbook you’re assuming basic familiarity and skill, and each topic is basically a short guide on how to accomplish a specific outcome.

It’s thus probably slightly out of scope for the manual.

2 Likes

I for one like the Grand Unified Theory of Documentation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Came to the forum searching for exactly this, so I’d like to echo my support for this idea! :grinning:

The main motivation is that a whole bunch of useful tweaks are buried in user configurations (hidden away under different github repositories, or forum posts, etc) along with many other daunting tweaks. Tweaking would become much more approachable if there were a corpus of snippets with short descriptions that a user could browse or search on, and pick up interesting snippets to try out.

I think this will lower the entry barrier, and help the faster spread & experimentation of interesting ideas throughout the community.

As a simple first pass proposal, concretely, this would require different users to “break up” interesting pieces from their configuration and share them with a description associated with each. We might collect these under an org file with src blocks, and manually organize them into clusters/themes once a raw list gets overwhelming.

1 Like