Native nyxt on Windows?

Hi! is there any plan/roadmap to release nyxt native on windows? I’ve been trying to move away from qutebrowser from quite a while, after using in on linux, osx and w10, and this browser seems to be on a whole different level!

1 Like

We want to have a Windows port, yes. There’s no person on our team that’s an active Windows user (and no one that’s willing to become Windows user either), so it’s quite a low priority for us.

As I’ve already told on Reddit and elsewhere, the biggest problem is getting an up-to-date renderer version on Windows, because:

• WebKitGTK versions that I was able to find on Cygwin are terribly outdated.
  • CEF/QtWebEngine we don’t yet have Lisp-side bindings for, although they run just fine on Windows.
1 Like

@aartaka I can volunteer to give this a try. I am getting a Windows computer within the next week. I will have access to the computer for about a month.

Sure, I don’t see any reason in refusing this to you :slight_smile:

I see in the 3.0.0 release notes that you’re going to focus on Windows and Mac support, but I cannot find any additional information on this other than this post and Nyxt for windows without WSL - #6 by jmercouris (for Windows).

Do you have a plan/roadmap? How can I help with this? I’ve been experimenting with writing a native message plugin for FF to get some “Emacs in the browser”, but Nyxt would of course be a much better solution for this.

1 Like

Hello @simendsjo there is in fact a plan!

We’ll be adding Windows support via Electron. We’ve already begun implementing the interface to it in Lisp:

Then we’ll need to make a new renderer using this interface:

It’ll take a while, but if you feel like looking at the code to make a new renderer, we’d be more than happy for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like