Failling to get Nyxt 2 Pre-release 6 via MacPorts on macOS

Hello everyone
I hope it’s OK to ask for help in this forum…
I’ve just discovered nyxt and I’m beyond excited to try it.
I’m trying to install it with MacPorts on macOS 10.15.7. (I’m a total macports newbie…)
But the build is failing w/ the following error message:

Error: Failed to configure webkit2-gtk-devel: gtk3 must be installed with +quartz.
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_private_var_local_ports_nyxt_www_webkit2-gtk-devel/webkit2-gtk-devel/main.log for details.
Error: Follow MacPorts Guide to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port nyxt failed

I’m wondering if anyone could help with solving this issue?

Many thanks in advance

I’ve found that MacPorts has a variants.conf [1] where I could define the appropriate +quartz variant

[1] MacPorts Guide

Sure it’s OK to post here!

Sadly, macOS support is now unofficial since @jmercouris stopped using it as his main OS.
We’d be happy to see it come back up again, but it needs some work. Not sure MacPorts is the way forward though, maybe Nix would be a better option and I’ve heard there are some patches for WebKitGTK on mac. (Link?) Once this gets merged, we should be really close to get Nyxt to install on macOS via Nix!

Also see Issues · atlas-engineer/nyxt · GitHub for more discussions regarding Nyxt on macOS.

I believe this should have been posted to Nyxt - Atlas though.
@jmercouris Should we remove this “Uncategorized” section to avoid future confusion?

Thank you!

I’m a Nix user! So I’d rather Nyxt being available on Nix rather than the MacPorts :slight_smile:

FWIW, the build did succeed although I still had some errors message at the end and the app wasn’t actually installed.
I check the build folder and tried to run the executable I saw there and it launched.
I’ve been able to browser the docs and tutorial in Nyxt but it’s failing to load any website and it’s spewing some errors in the console.

I’ll check the GH issue and maybe follow up there.

I’d be glad to help in anyway I can (testing) with the macOS build on Nix.

So many great ideas in Nyxt. Ought to be more widespread.

Thank you!

@ambrevar I cannot remove the uncategorized topic, I believe it is a requirement of discourse that it exists. Maybe there is another way to do it, but I do not know it!

@jmercouris @ambrevar there is a way to turn it off and not allow posting without a category. You just might have to recategorize this post first (done some discourse admin stuff in the past). See below once in admin settings. Head to Settings > Posting or once in Settings just type in uncategorized to filter for it. It’ll remove the category and make categories be chosen from then on.

discourse

Got it! Thank you :-)!!!

Of course! It looks much better now.

Thanks, I’ve been trying to tweak it a little bit!