Dual libsoup error

Upgraded Manjaro last night, now nyxt errors and hangs on startup:

libsoup-ERROR **: 15:15:18.048: libsoup2 symbols detected. Using libsoup2 and libsoup3 in the same process is not supported.

The process is there in the process table but no GUI ever appears.

I’ve re-downloaded and re-installed the Arch release build (not nightly), exact same symptoms.

That’s due to libsoup update, nothing on the Nyxt side. What I suggest you do is deleting either the libsoup or libsoup3 package, that should make errors dissappear. This may not be easy, though – as any library migration.

2 Likes

How would I actually go about doing this? I have a bunch of packages that depend on both libsoup or libsoup3 (on Arch), and not sure how I would go about deleting any one of them. Is deleting web2kitgtk enough?

This turned out not to be the solution. It was a packaging defect IIUC. Latest release builds “pin” the correct library (again, IIUC). Whatever, they run correctly now. All this is assuming that you are also using the same Arch build.

Hello, trying to compile nyxt now to write a lib to get bitwarden-cli (bw) to work as pass and keepassX etc but getting this same error with libsoup on my 2 arch GNU/Linux machines. @joshcho can you or someone, please elaborate the steps to fix? Thanks <3

The release build at Daily Arch Linux builds of the Nyxt browser works. I can’t personally speak to the nightly builds, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

I do not need a daily/nightly since I want this for development so I need to use git etc on it. is not to use but to develope but I have check the arch PKGBUILD and I have all the requierements and building the same way. and builds perfectly fine… but when I run:

<INFO> [22:20:46] GTK extensions directory: #P"/home/rek2/Herramientas/common-lisp/nyxt/libraries/web-extensions/"
<INFO> [22:20:46] Loading #P"/home/rek2/.local/share/nyxt/history/default.lisp".
<WARN> [22:20:46] History version "3-787-g8ba300a6" differs from current version "3-811-ge74ab257"

(WebKitWebProcess:62116): libsoup-ERROR **: 22:20:46.572: libsoup3 symbols detected. Using libsoup2 and libsoup3 in the same process is not supported.

(WebKitWebProcess:62119): libsoup-ERROR **: 22:20:46.572: libsoup3 symbols detected. Using libsoup2 and libsoup3 in the same process is not supported.
<WARN> [22:20:46] Warning: Web process terminated for buffer 766 (opening ) because it crashed
<WARN> [22:20:46] Warning: JavaScript error: GError: Domain: "WebKitJavascriptError", Code: 699, Message:
<WARN> [22:20:46] Warning: JavaScript error: GError: Domain: "WebKitJavascriptError", Code: 699, Message:

so same issue.

ok, playing for a couple of hours with some ldd and other tools to learn and know where what libs are pulled by nyxt removing webkit2gkt-4.1

paru(or pacman) -Rdd webkit2gtk-4.1

and make clean && make all works for now… is a hack but works.

make clean
make

But FIRST go into the web-extensions and do make clean and make to all the C code extensions to make sure they all using the older webkit not 4.1

common-lisp/nyxt/libraries/web-extensions/

Basically:

• webkit2gtk use libsoup
  • webkit2gkt-4.1 and webkit2gtk5 use libsoup3

I, personally, can’t remove webkit2gtk because have like 10+ applications that need it, and they will break.
As a better way to resolve this problem with more time will be to tell make to compile with “webkit2gtk-4.x” only and do not touch the other older .so files, will report back when I have another 2-3 hour to do this.
but will be something like this to the make file

-I/usr/include/webkitgtk-4.1